Charleston is a beautiful place. A temperate climate, beautiful beaches, excellent restaurants and cultural offerings keep the city relevant and dynamic. When the tourists melt away, those of us lucky enough to live here get to explore Shem Creek, Middleton Plantation, boutiques on King St., and the cobblestone alleyways South of Broad year round.
More and more people are choosing to call Charleston home, especially those who’ve retired and are looking for a quiet but fulfilling life. As the Charleston population ages, we are seeing a greater need for in-home care. Seniors want to stay comfortable and independent in their homes. Delaying a move to a facility means more time surrounded by memories and neighbors. It also means saving, as the costs of assisted living increases as the demand rises.
That’s where we come in. There are plenty of in home care companies in Charleston. There are plenty of large franchises with familiar names and sub-par service. Some might even say that the home care market in Charleston is saturated. Everyone is clamoring to tell our Charleston seniors that they are the best custodians of their care.
But we’re different. Here’s how:
- We’re a small but vibrant home care agency that carefully and diligently recruits the most talented caregivers in Charleston.
- We then compensate our Charleston caregivers well, support and mentor them, empower and respect them.
- This means we attract and retain talented caregivers who provide consistently exceptional, dependable care to our clients.
- Our clients receive the kind of care that enables them to be comfortable and independent.
- Their families get the piece of mind knowing that their loved ones are cared for.
- And our caregivers are part of a team that enables them to be the best they can be.
If you’re looking for personalized, premium care for yourself or a loved one, please give us a call. Let us show you the Commonwise difference.
As word of our excellent caregivers and reputation for providing premium home care has continued to spread, Commonwise is excited to announce that we have opened our newest branch in RVA!
While there are many wonderful aspects to life in the low country, extreme weather can certainly be stressful and frustrating. When the winds start blowing and the flood warnings flash, families and clients are left with difficult decisions about whether to stay put or evacuate.
Recently, Charleston was placed under a mandatory evacuation order as Hurricane Florence barreled towards the coast. No one knew exactly where she was going to hit and at what magnitude. The city piled doorways with sandbags and boarded up windows. Senior care facilities helped ferry their residents to higher ground.
For those who decided to stay, Commonwise Home Care worked with each client and their families to ensure that we maintained coverage where needed and communicated thoroughly and often. Our caregivers, office team, and clients all came together to prioritize needs and ensure that everyone was safe.
For seniors in Charleston who have in home care or personal care, ensuring that you’re prepared for bad weather is a matter of necessity. Whether it’s a freak snowstorm in January or a hurricane in September, your care team at Commonwise will provide plenty of communication and guidance to ensure that we help take care of your needs.
Here are some tips to help you be prepared:
- Put together a small kit with necessities – Here is a helpful list of things to include: https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit
- Create a list of resources and their contact information that will help you in an emergency. Doctors, pharmacist, your home care provider, friends, family, numbers for the city – any information that you would normally be able to look up on your computer or phone.
- Collect copies of important documents: those relating to your health, your insurance, mortgage, identification, deeds, etc. You might even want to scan copies and keep electronic files on a flash drive or safely in cloud-based storage.
- Ask you doctor and/or pharmacist for one extra month’s supply of your medications. They can be stored with your emergency kit.
- Think through all of the other necessities: food, water, oxygen, transportation, pets and their needs. Make sure you have a plan to have all of the important items stored somewhere accessible.
While this sounds like a lot, the most important thing is communication. Let Commonwise know what your needs are and our staff can help you with all of these steps in preparation for our next extreme weather event in Charleston.
Stay safe and know that you’re not alone when bad weather hits.